Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Colbie Caillat - I Do & Brighter Than the Sun

Colbie Caillat may not actually be a country singer, but much of her music is listened to by many country fans - so we decided to review her latest tracks. Caillat's next album "All of You" is to be released in early July, and she has already released 2 tracks from it, "I Do" and "Brighter Than the Sun".

"I Do" is a light and upbeat track, with a fun beats and cute chord progressions - but the Lyrics and Tune are a real let down. The lyrics are shallow, unoriginal, and repetitive, with the chorus being just "I do, I do, I do do do do do do do do. Yeah, I do I do I do do do do do do do do..."

The tune during the verse sounds promising, but disappoints the listener at the beginning of the chorus. Compared to Colbie's other hit tracks like "Bubbly", "I think I'm falling for you" and "I never told you", I do falls flat.

"Brighter than the Sun" is another light and upbeat track, and I listened to this track hoping that it would be an improvement over "I Do". It was, but it was still a disappointment. The lyrics are happy and bright, but at some phrases sound like they were written by an inexperienced writer. They are often disconnected and they leave the listener what just happened. At the chorus, the words  often sound like they were picked only because they rhymed, and not because they added anything at all to the song.

The tune during the verse leaves us doubtful, but when the song reaches the chorus it improves greatly. At the chorus, the tune almost reaches the level of Colbie's previous tracks - and it is complemented by an excellent chord progression.

In both tracks, Caillat's vocal performance is very well done - and her smooth voice is shown off.

Both tracks are sure to do well on the radio charts, but leaves us wondering if her new album will compare at all to her previous albums.